Children’s Havurah Teacher/Administrator
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
The Children's Havurah is a series of weekly Sunday morning Judaica/Hebrew classes designed for primary school-aged children who are not attending Jewish day-school. A growing and vibrant program within the synagogue’s family programing, our objective is to fill a gap in the Jewish and Hebrew education of these children.
The Children’s Havurah is open to both members and non-members of Congregation Dorshei Emet. Our classes offer an inclusive environment in which each individual feels welcome – an environment that reflects the mission of the Congregation as a whole, and the diversity of contemporary Jewish families in Montreal. Coming from a Reconstructionist perspective that sees Judaism as an evolving practice, we seek to offer creative, interactive, and inspired classes that provide a basis for life-long learning. We aspire to enrich our children's understanding of Judaism and Hebrew language, as well as to enrich their own sense of Jewish identity – both personally and in relationship to the unique landscape and history of the province of Quebec. Our objective is to bring Jewish values and mitzvot into all aspects of the program, and to relate those values to broader society.
Under the Rabbi’s supervision, the Havurah Teacher/Administrator carries out the operations of the Children’s Havurah in the following areas: curriculum and teaching; hiring of new teachers as the program grows; evaluation of teachers; general planning and administration, including collaborations with other organizations; integration of Havurah students and their families into Dorshei Emet festivals and community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research and implement innovative age-appropriate curriculum.
- Select, order and distribute appropriate teaching materials.
- Budget Havurah funds.
- Teach weekly Sunday morning classes (10:00-11:30), approximately 25 classes between September and June.
- Assist Dorshei Emet Executive Director with marketing of the Havurah.
- Assist with the hiring of a second teacher, when enrollment numbers warrant it.
- Maintain class lists and communicate with parents about content of the Havurah classes.
- Plan field trips and arrange for guest animators.
- Collaborate with other community organizations where possible.
- Experience teaching elementary-aged children in a school or after-school program.
- Excellent planning, organizational, communication, and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Jewish life and related topics, fluency in Hebrew, and a commitment to Jewish education.
- Some knowledge of the principles of Reconstructionist Judaism.
- Willingness to consult with parents involved in the program.
- Musical ability would be an asset.
$3000/year paid monthly between September and June (approx. $300/month).
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your application with cover letter and resume to email@example.com by August 30th. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Family Shabbat Assistant Teacher
Running on the first and 3rd Shabbat of the month from September to May, Dorshei Emet Family Shabbat program offers unique Judaic programming for children 3-11 during Shabbat services (10:30am -12:00am). Possible opportunity to help lead Children’s High Holiday Services to be discussed.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Following lesson outlines and guides provided, implement creative, innovative, theme-based and age-appropriate lessons.
- Engage the students and foster a positive learning experience and outcome.
- Attend staff meetings and training as required.
- Be a positive ambassador and role model and inspire students and families.
KEY REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- Knowledge of Jewish culture, traditions, Israel and community.
- Service leading experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: great attitude, warm, friendly, flexible and positive “can-do’ attitude.
- Ability to develop and deliver interactive and engaging classes.
- Punctual, responsible , team-worker.
Musical ability a plus.
$40 per Family Shabbat (schedule TBA).
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your application with cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 30th. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis